Friday, February 12, 2010

I heart Bright Star

As many females are, I happen to be a huge fan of romantic literature and film - specifically anything from the Classical Era think The Bronte Sisters and Jane Austen. So when I stumbled upon a movie called "Bright Star" I was immediately entranced. If I could go back into time I would definitely want to live in 19th Century London. Everything about this time period attracts me, the clothing, the houses, the simplistic ways of living... it's extremely romantic. However I am sure that the lack of a dishwasher and microwave made life quite exhausting.

Thus, I enjoy escaping to this world whenever possible and today I had a date with 19th Century London and it's name was "Bright Star." The cover alone made me want to watch the movie. The elegant script of the title and the slight change in color of the word Bright, it captured me.




So I just finished watching it and while it may not be everyone's cup of tea, I LOVED IT! It was just simply adorable. Abbie Cornish was superb and Ben Whishaw who I have never even heard of was quite remarkable as well. The movie's plot is focused on the love affair that occurs between a young, slightly wealthy, fashion forward woman Fanny Brawne (played by Abbie Cornish) and John Keats the poor, penniless, yet infamous poet (played by Ben Whishaw). If you love overly romantic films that make you cry then this is a dead winner. Not to mention the previews on the DVD (I rented it from Redbox) also made me cry. Ever heard of Hachiko? Well it's next on my list of cheesy movies to watch when my husband is not around. If the previews made me cry, I fear what watching the actual movie will do to me.

Anyhow, I extremely encourage all fans of 19th century London and classic literature to rent this movie. It was rated PG, but let me forewarn you that the hand holding scenes and the wall separating their bedroom scenes will totally make you gasp for air and blush like a strawberry. Their emotions are portrayed so intensely without ever having sex or explicit relations whatsoever and its reminds you that less is more, way more!! What I wouldn't do to wear a dress with a frilly neckline, walk through jasmine enchanted gardens, while listening to one of the world's most famous romantic poets recite a poem about me!

The ending scene is Fanny reciting the poem "Bright Star" that John Keats wrote for her.

Bright star, would I were stedfast as thou art--
Not in lone splendour hung aloft the night
And watching, with eternal lids apart,
Like nature's
patient, sleepless Eremite,
The moving waters at their priestlike task
Of pure ablution round earth's human shores,
Or gazing on the new soft-fallen mask
Of snow upon the mountains and the moors--
No--yet still stedfast, still unchangeable,
Pillow'd upon my fair love's ripening breast,
To feel for ever its soft fall and swell,
Awake for ever in a sweet unrest,
Still, still to hear her tender-taken breath,
And so live ever--or else swoon to death. 
 
 
Beautiful. Just Beautiful.

***movie spoiler - it doesn't have a happy ending so don't hate me for recommending a movie that doesn't make you smile at the closing credits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...