Friday, August 27, 2010

Sometimes You Just Need to Get Out of the Car

Here's an interesting story that I just had to share with you all. I was out running errands at Target and Ross and while I was in the Mission Valley area I got hungry. Needless to say my options were aplenty and I decided to "double" my iron intake the yummy way and hit up In-N-Out. I was on the fence about it until I got out of my car and got a whiff of that "eau de deliciousness". (however this is not the point of my story) So I went in ordered a #1 and basked in the wonderful sun as I stuffed my face with the best burger on the planet. After I finished I tossed my trash and headed to my car....

On my way back I passed by a man holding a "hungry" sign standing near the exit/entrance of the parking lot. I took a casual glance and then I just kept walking. Waddle Waddle Waddle. Whew. Wiped my eyebrow of sweat and got into my car. I put the key into the ignition, turned on the a/c and just sat staring out the window. I couldn't help but think that God wanted me to go and talk to this man. I have been trying very hard lately to not ignore that inner voice aka the Holy Spirit. Especially when it means talking to a weird stranger, in the middle of a parking lot, when its 90 degrees outside and all I want to do is sit down in my air conditioned car.

A few moments went by and I still couldn't shake that feeling that I HAD to get out of my car and go talk to him. I didn't have any cash on me at the time, but I thought well at least I could  offer to buy him lunch. So here I am getting back out of my car ... Waddle Waddle Waddle. Once I finally reach this random stranger I double check just to confirm he wasn't asking for money or a job or a place to sleep, or karate lessons because his family was kidnapped by ninjas and sure enough his sign only says "Hungry". I politely say, "Hello", he returns with a simple "Hi". He has about 8 rows of teeth, long black hair pulled into a pony tail and is wearing decent jeans, a pair of chucks and a band t-shirt. Not overly intimidating, but also not someone I would want to chat up life over a cup of joe and a scone.

So after my 2 second mental assessment of him (I was really just trying to make sure he wasn't gonna knife me or steal my purse), I realized he was just a normal/weird guy. I proceeded to my initial point and asked him If I could buy him lunch. I explained that I didn't have any cash, but would love to fill his empty tummy with food from a place of his choice. How many of you can guess what he replied with?..... Personally, I am still not sure what exactly he said, but it went something like this. Weird Guy says, "No, thank you I am not hungry" Me , "Are you sure? Your holding a sign that says 'hungry'" Weird Guy, "No really thanks, God Bless you and your little one. The cops stole my herb stash this morning and got me good. My roommates threw me out on the street and tossed all my sh@#$. I am just standing here with this sign." Me, "So your not hungry?" Weird Guy, "No, I am good." Me, "Do you need any money?" Weird Guy, "No, I am good." Me, "Then why are you standing here holding a sign?" Weird Guy, "Mumble, Mumble, Mumble, yada, yada, yada Thanks God Bless you and your little one" Me, "dramatic pause, look of confusion, tilt of the head, hmmm, Okay have a nice day!" Waddle Waddle Waddle back to my car.

So you're probably wondering what the point of the story is?
For me, its simply this... 

Sometimes. God. Just. Wants. Us. To. Get. Out. Of. The. Car.



... Have you been getting out of your car lately?

2 comments:

  1. wow...what an awesome story! You're amazing and so is God! I just love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa this is such a cool story! Just what I needed to hear! I <3 your blog! Thanks so much for sharing and I especially love the way you put things. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...